Tuesday 26 June 2012

roasted chickpeas anyone ????

Have you heard the saying "if at first you don't succeed, try and try again" .....

Well, this was what kept me going with this "Roasted Chickpea" recipe!


Like most recipes I create its a matter of trial and error....I really thought though that I would simply throw the chickpeas & a few spices in the oven, give them a bake and *abracadabra* they would be crunchy and stay crunchy!
The first lot stayed this weird soft/soggy texture.....not so great....the second lot I burnt to be a nice shade of.....um, black!


3rd time lucky! Here it is! ...... Hope you enjoy......I guarantee my hubby will love these when he gets home from work and they will become a regular request! This serving size is just enough for him alone! When having people over and making these I will probably do 3 cans.....at $1 a can, what a cheap, tasty and healthy snack! (I believe Chickpeas are a great source of Fibre, Protein and Folic Acid)

Drain and rinse 1 x can of Chickpeas....

Line a tray with baking paper and pre-heat oven to 170oC.
Place Chick peas on the tray - on a single layer....

Sprinkle with 1/2 tspn Paprika, 1/2 tspn Cumin,
1/4 tspn Cayenne Pepper and
1/4 tspn Sea Salt....

Gently mix spices through the Chickpeas. Cook in
pre-heated oven for 40 minutes. THEN turn the heat down to
110oC and cook for a further 5 minutes....
(times may vary slightly depending on your oven)

Allow to cool at room temperature.
Chick peas will get crunchier as they cool.
ENJOY!!!!!!

I would assume that these should be stored in an air-tight container so they stay crispy.....but they won't last long enough in my house!!!!!

I hope you are having a great week and that the sun is shining where ever you are! We have had a few days of sunshine but back to rain again here today.....trying to find positives in this cold weather like ugh boots, trackies, PJ days (school holidays soon YAY!), snuggling up with hubby and a DVD of a night and warm comfort food.....Apricot Chicken from CUT OUT THE CRAP FOR KIDS here for dinner tonight.....YUM!

Keep warm,

Take Care of You,
Coll x

My flowers I got sent last week....another way to add some
colour and brightness into these cold
winter days......beautiful!


1 comment:

  1. Oh they look perfect!!! Can't wait to test it out!! My first two attempts were major flops too! x

    ReplyDelete