Saturday 9 June 2012

The Airport.....


Last Saturday my husband left on a 1 week holiday and 2 week work trip to America. As it happened to be my birthday the day he was leaving, and it was a Saturday, I didn't feel like sitting around the house missing him for an extra day so I decided the 4 kids and I would make the trip to Sydney with him to say 'Bon Voyage' and to have a nice day out. 

My 2 favourite men!
"Hey Dad, Can I come too?"
I know that may sound strange to some, but a day at the airport (even with 4 kids in tow) is interesting
All the kids loved seeing the planes take off and the lady that checked Joshs bags in gave us the directions to a brilliant viewing platform that was semi outside....we were so close to the action it was brilliant (although not so brilliant when it started raining and we had to dodge raindrops and it became so cold our noses were freezing!).

Josh and our 4 children xxx
Joshs plane.....1pm and so dark....horrible weather......
I find people "interesting" in an environment like that (yes I was one of the few that liked the TV show Big Brother!) and I wondered when we were walking past the departure drop off point if people were frequent flyers, was this their first time flying, were they going away on a holiday or for business, was it a happy flight or were they leaving loved ones behind (more than 3 weeks like my hubby!) did they enjoy flying, were they nervous.......we walked past the drop off several times during the hours we were there and in the end my nervous giggle started as I watched the hugs between loved ones, children crying and adults crying and knowing that my time to say bye to Josh was getting nearer. My nervous giggle was there because I knew that soon that would be me with tears, not only mine but the big 2 girls, it's probably a good thing that the twins are too young to understand it all and already little Miss A at only 1 1/2 has stopped rolling over after her morning feed to say good morning to Dadda and now kisses the IPad waiting for him on there!
I know this all may sound a little dramatic to some but 3 weeks without my hubby and the kids with their dad is huge for us. The longest he has ever been away is 8 nights and that was only last year. 

I came home to have 2 of my best friends and supports swing by for a cuppa and another farewell, as they were leaving the next day for Thailand for a month.

My mind crossed on the day to those that have to say goodbye to their loved ones as they go off to war with the Army, or those (like one of my good friends) that sees her Mum only once a year and has to do that emotional farewell every time. No thanks! 

So long, Bon Voyage, Farewell, Goodbye....no matter how you say it, Goodbyes are not my "thing" ......

So back to the airport.....the other thing I LOVE is the food.....albeit I can't eat any of it but the variety is amazing and it inspires me in a strange way to want to cook and create! So often we get caught up in eating the same thing week after week when they are so many "different" flavours and ingredients out the to explore. It disappoints me to a certain point that I couldn't just go up and order the fresh Thai stirfrys they were cooking or try some of the amazing looking Japanese Sushis. However, I know I have these allergies for a reason and that pulls me back go reality - its no use day dreaming of "what ifs" unless I can turn that into "what if I can change "this" to "that" so I can eat it!" 



I would love SO much to be able to explore different countries food and travel the world experiencing it all....the Pastries and Coffees in France, the "proper" Pastas and Gelatos in Italy, the traditional cuisine full of beautiful spices in India.....however I know that's not realistic and it comes down to the fact that my allergies simply wouldn't allow it more than my fear of flying....or the fear of falling....or the claustrophobic issues of being on a plane....ok now I'm getting side tracked!!!!!! 

What I found when I googled French Pastries!
What I found when I googled Gelato!

A sign at the Airport! Love it!
So......add to my (forever growing) list of things to do......create and explore different cultures food that I CAN eat and cook at home ....... Would love to hear what countries food you love the most....do you have a multi-cultural background and cook recipes that have been handed down through generations....or if you could go to one country simply for the food, where would it be????

Take Care of You,
Coll x

Birthday Cake from my friend Melody - My Mum made me one also but I ate it before Igot a photo! Woops!

Present off my sister....she knows me well!


No comments:

Post a Comment