Thursday 20 February 2014

Tomato Sauce

Good Morning friends! I hope this finds you well and that you have had a wonderful week. 


We love growing our own fruit, veg and herbs at home but sometimes we get so much produce we can not keep up with eating it or even giving it away! I have a freezer full of gorgeous orange chilli’s and we have more beautiful, red, plump, organic tomatoes than we know what to do with. 
Miss 9 asked the other day if I could make tomato sauce (as I refuse to buy the shop bought ones packed with refined sugars) and so I was up for the challenge… especially since I had quite a few tomatoes to play with! 3 attempts later (and 3kg of tomatoes later) I succeeded with the right consistency and flavour to keep not only hubby happy but the 4 kids too! I have tested this again in the TMX and also with using my food processor and stove top – so no matter what machine you have you are right to enjoy this at home! I hope you love it as much as my family does!


Tomato Sauce


Tomato Sauce 


1kg tomatoes – roughly diced


1 brown onion (110g) – roughly diced


2 cloves garlic


1cm x 1cm piece ginger


½ cup apple cider vinegar (100g)


¼ cup honey (90g)


1 tspn herbamare (or sea salt)


½ tspn sage


½ tspn cinnamon


½ tspn cumin


½ tson coriander


½ tspn paprika


¼ tspn mustard seeds


2 versions – 1 for TMX and 1 for Blender / Food Processor and Stove Top


TMX VERSION:
Place the prepared tomatoes, onion, garlic and ginger into the bowl and blitz for 15 seconds speed 8.


Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 40 minutes Varoma Speed 3.


Allow to cool before pouring into a glass jar.


BLENDER / FOOD PROCESSOR & STOVE TOP VERSION:


Place the prepared tomatoes, onion, garlic and ginger into the blender / food processor and blitz for 30-40 seconds or until liquid.


Pour this tomato liquid into a large saucepan add the remaining ingredients – mix well.


Bring the sauce to the boil. 
Turn heat down to a gentle simmer. Stir frequently (every 5 minutes approximately) for up to one hour until the desired consistency is achieved (mine took just under an hour).


Allow to cool before pouring into a glass jar.


Makes 3 cups of tomato sauce.


Great for a pasta sauce and a ‘dipping’ ketchup sauce. 


TIP:


* Store in a glass jar in the fridge.  (Please note, as I have only just made this sauce I do not know how long it will keep for in the fridge – at a guess I would say a month …. but I don’t think mine will last that long – my kids are excited as I don’t buy tomato sauce!)
* Sneak vegetables into this sauce (in step 1) eg 1 – 2 diced carrots and a few stalks of celery. 


Wishing you a wonderful weekend and as always I hope it is filled with love, laughter and GREAT food!


Take Care of You, 


Collette x 


Instagram:



No comments:

Post a Comment