Thursday 11 April 2013

What's in my Pantry "Tins"

Good Afternoon! I hope this finds you all well and that you have all had a WONDERFUL week. I am super excited as its the last day of School for my Miss 10 and Miss 8 for just over 2 weeks….I have so many things planned to do with them….I can’t wait, I love spending more time with them and not having to rush them off to school every morning! 

As promised I am back on track with my blogs and here is the continued series of “What’s in my Gluten, Dairy and Preservative Free Pantry” ….please remember as you read these blogs that this is simply what ‘I’ buy….there are many more brand options around and the information I get is from the trusted Additive Free Pantry Guide and Chemical Maze Book (which are both now available through my website). 

“Tins”

IMG_8763

Coconut Milk and Coconut Cream – I buy this Ayam brand (although NOT the lite ones) Coconut Milk is 82% Coconut Kernal Extract and water. Coconut Cream is 100% Coconut Kernal Extract. I use these both a fair bit in my cooking, in curries and desserts especially. 

IMG_8765

Mango and Coconut Ice Cream

Mango and Coconut Ice cream from my book “Cut out the Crap”

Tuna – This one I grabbed from Aldi this week and it was far cheaper than other brands and it reads the same ingredients (Yes it is a product from Thailand) Tuna 64% Springwater 35.3% and salt. Tin Tuna is a MUST have ‘staple’ in my pantry. Have it on wraps or crackers with salad for lunch. The big girls mix it with home made mayo and pop it in a container with rice crackers separate for school lunch. Tuna Mornay (my easy ‘go to’ dinner) and lets not forget how scrumptious it is in a frittata!

IMG_8766

Baked Beans – I buy these Coles Organic ones. They are only approximately 50c dearer than additive filled ones. I probably only use a tin a month but its good to have them there in the cupboard….especially is we are having a spicy dinner that  Master and Miss 2 won’t enjoy….Baked Beans with some grated carrot and zucchini through it is a winner for them (although trying to feed themselves….eeek what a MESS!)  Ingredients: Organic Navy Beans 45%, Organic Tomatoes 30%, Water, Organic Sugar, Organic Onion, Organic Sunflower oil, Organic Maize Starch, Salt, Organic Black Pepper, Acidity Regulator (300).

Spaghetti – NOT GLUTEN FREE – the same with the baked beans, not eaten often but a good one to have on hand for school lunch as a ‘woops’ forget to get groceries moment ;-)  
Ingredients: Spaghetti 43% (WHEAT FLOUR)  Organic Tomatoes 30%, Water, Organic Sugar, Organic Onion, Salt, Organic Sunflower oil, Organic Maize Starch,  Organic Spices, Organic Black Pepper, Acidity Regulator (300).

IMG_8764

Chickpeas – Another”Staple” tin for my pantry. Oh so cheap and Oh so versatile. I buy these Coles Organic which Ingredients are: Chickpeas 60%, water and salt. I always give them a good rinse first and use them for SO many things….to snack on as is…all 4 kids would devour a tin easy….hommus….add to stir frys….add to curries….roasted chickpeas….throw into salads….
Not only are the yummy but they are super good for you as they are high in fibre and protein!

IMG_8767

Adding Chickpeas into roasted Vegetables

Adding Chickpeas into roasted Vegetables

roasted chickpeas

YUMMO! Homemade roasted chickpeas – recipe below!

ROASTED CHICKPEAS

1 can of chickpeas

Drain and rinse well

Preheat oven to 170oC

Line a tray with baking paper and spread chickpeas out over a single layer

Sprinkle with ½ tspn Paprika, ½ tspn Cumin, ¼ tspn Cayenne Pepper and ¼ tspn Salt

Mix gently

Cook in preheated oven for 40mins

Turn heat down to 110oC and cook for a further 5

Times may vary slightly depending on your oven – be careful not to burn

Chickpeas will get crunchier as they cool. Store in an airtight container (if they last that long!)

Thats it for tins in my cupboard…the only other thing I have on occasion (and only buy it when I need it) is tin fruit (eg pineapple) for cooking a cake or sweet and sour chicken etc. 

Wishing you a FANTASTIC weekend!

Take Care of You,
Collette x

www.facebook.com/cutoutthecrap


What's in my Pantry "Tins"

No comments:

Post a Comment