Sunday 17 November 2013

almond and macadamia nut butter

Good Afternoon! I hope this finds you all well and that you had a lovely weekend. 


I had a fun weekend and was blessed that the rain stopped for few hours – just enough time for me to overcome a HUGE fear of mine….bridges and heights….all in one….and I Climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge with Bekah (Hubbys Cousin from Texas USA) and my Miss 11! WOW! What an experience and what a view! If you ever get the chance…I say DO IT! I have to say though I did ‘almost’ chicken out….as we were getting all strapped in I almost asked to go back and not go ahead but I looked at my Miss 11 and saw her excitement and knew that I had to push through my fear and just do it….I really am glad that I did! 


1452188_10151781329396527_1213724361_n

me with my Miss 11 – right at the top of the bridge!


1424344_10151781329331527_1843911935_n

half way up….breathtaking….


Anyway….back to food….I have a yummy favourite recipe to share with you today…..a simple recipe and a staple in our pantry these days….I hope you love it!


IMG_1007


almond and macadamia butter


1 cup raw almonds


1 cup raw macadamias


pinch sea salt


optional: 1 tblspn maple syrup or honey


In a large food processor place the almonds and macadamias. Process the nuts using an “S DOUBLE BLADE” for 10-12 minutes or until smooth and creamy. You will need to scrape down the sides a few times during this process.


Be patient when making this – at first it just looks like crumbs and I was tempted to add liquid of some sort but PLEASE don’t! Keep going and it will soon start to resemble nut butter.


Once your nut butter has reached its desired consistency add the pinch of salt and taste to see if you would like to add the maple syrup / honey – mix well and pour / spoon into airtight glass jars.  


Simple as that! 


IMG_1000


Other options: I have tried this nut butter many different ways. I have tried soaking / activating the nuts first, just raw (as in the recipe) and then I have also tried toasting them first. I didn’t find a difference in the taste with the soaking /activating verses raw. The processing time did change slightly.


Toasting the nuts first in a hot oven for 10-15 minutes made the nut butter taste amazing and this way is my personal preference. It all comes down to individual taste.


Serve as you would normal nut butters on toast, sandwiches, crackers…. or if you are like my kids, they love it best on apples for afternoon tea!


Note: times may vary depending on your food processor. 


IMG_1532

Almond and Macadamia butter on top of apple slices, sprinkled with chia seeds or additive free choc drops for an afternoon tea treat!


Wishing you a wonderful rest of the week!


Take Care of You,


Collette x 




almond and macadamia nut butter

No comments:

Post a Comment