Wednesday 27 February 2013

In my pantry....Rice and Pasta

Good Evening! Thank you for stopping by to read todays blog….what is in my Gluten, Dairy and Preservative Free Pantry part 3 … 

Rice and Pasta

One of the most common things I hear when people find out that they are Coeliac is that they are bummed because they can no longer have Pasta. Whilst its going to be difficult to go to a restaurant and order a pasta (unless they have a Gluten Free option and you trust them) its not difficult to find pasta to cook at home. 

goldie locks gluten intolerant

Pasta: In my pantry I have Rice Pasta, Rice and Quinoa Pasta and Buckwheat Pasta (remembering that buckwheat IS gluten and wheat free) I also have Rice Vermicelli noodles, Rice Spaghetti and Rice Paper Rolls (not sure if they are best in the pasta or rice section! so thought I would add them in here!)

IMG_7772

The Rice and Quinoa Pasta I buy in bulk from Santos Trading online.

IMG_7771

In my cupboard, Buckwheat Pasta, Rice Vermicelli noodles, rice paper rolls, Rice Spaghetti – all purchased from Supermarkets, Green Grocers and Health Food Stores

You can buy ‘Gluten Free’ Pasta but it has corn in and I am allergic to that. Be careful (as always) when buying anything in a packet that ‘extras’ (additives) are not added and read the ingredients, don’t assume from the marketing on the front of the packet that they will be ok.

I love Rice Vermicelli noodles, they are so very useful to use at the end of a week when you only had a few random bits of vegetables left, they will bulk up your vegetables to make a meal, and I would also throw in a handful of chia seeds and fresh herbs or lemon zest too. Yum!

My biggest tip when starting out your cooking with Rice Pasta is follow the instructions perfectly! It goes from being undercooked to mush in minutes! So watch it carefully and you will be able to enjoy pasta still!

Rice: I have brown, basmati, sushi, arborio and wild rice

IMG_7770

I use Basmati as my ‘plain white rice’ instead of ‘plain white rice’ – it is high in iron and low in fat. Brown rice  is my ‘rice of choice’ which I use the majority of the time, although it does take half an hour to cook, so not great if you are time poor. Brown rice is high in magnesium and fibre and many other minerals. It is far better nutritionally for you then white rice. 
Sushi rice – well, I use that in Sushi (funny enough) …. Arborio rice – is the ‘risotto’ rice.

Shutterstock photos of wild rice for recipe to go in food for Jennifer Bain.

“Wild Rice”

 

Wild rice, as expensive as it is I love it! It adds a slightly nutty flavour to the rice and a crunch also, anyone that follows my blog regularly knows that I am a fan of ‘texture’ – so it would make sense that I love adding wild rice to my rice dishes. Wild rice is high in antioxidants and fibre and has twice as much protein as brown rice. 

Here are some photos of meals from my books where I have included these different Pastas and Rices. 

Brown Rice Salad - from book "Cut out the Crap'

Brown Rice Salad – from book “Cut out the Crap’

Seafood Risotto from book 'Cut out the Crap'

Seafood Risotto from book ‘Cut out the Crap’

Pistachio and Coriander Pasta from book 'Cut out the Crap'

Pistachio and Coriander Pasta from book ‘Cut out the Crap’

I hope this has helped you in some way! Have you tried all these different versions of rice and pasta? Why not try something different this week?

Wishing you a wonderful evening and rest of the week!

Take Care of You,

Collette x

 www.facebook.com/cutoutthecrap

www.instagram.com/collette_cutoutthecrap

www.twitter.com/cutoutthecrap

 

 

 


In my pantry....Rice and Pasta

No comments:

Post a Comment