Thursday 27 December 2012

Guest Blog and FREE recipe by Sonya from Allergysave!

Good afternoon! How are you? We are all great here! It is nice and warm,  we are having a semi relaxing day and catching up on a few things, went to the bank and paid for more COTC books, took the Christmas tree down today to which Master 2 cried “Santa, NO, Santa” …. he he ha ha …. and whilst I write this blog I am enjoying a beautiful and fresh juice that I am obsessed with at the moment! Today I am having apple (1 red and 1 green), 2 pears, 1 lemon (rind on), 1 orange (rind off), cucumber and a gorgeous big chunk of fresh ginger! YUMMO!

apple, lemon, mango, lychee and ginger

apple, orange, lemon, cucumber and ginger

We were so excited to go to a friends place for dinner last night as a welcome home to our friends Steve and Belinda who have been in the NT for 12 months (you can see Belindas super mum interview here http://www.cutoutthecrap.com.au/super-mum-belinda-carroll/ ).

My family last night (Miss 8 was running around somewhere!?)

Today I have a lovely post for you from the beautiful Sonya from Allergysave. I hope you enjoy hearing her very personal story……

Sonya and her little man!

I began my blog Parenting a Child with Severe Food Allergies to keep my sanity when my baby was diagnosed with severe food allergies.

At 4 weeks old he developed severe eczema covering his entire body.  Many nights were spent holding his hands to prevent him from ripping at his skin. I explored every avenue to healing possible. I refused to accept the only option available was to coat him with corticosteroid cream.

I journalled every symptom and flare up sensing it was food related. Unfortunately my dermatologist didn’t agree dismissing my theory quickly due to my lack of medical qualifications – after all I was ‘only a mum’.

Even though I was ‘only a mum’, I ran with my theory managing to secure an appointment with a reputable allergy clinic. Sure enough, Cohens eczema was food related. He was diagnosed with severe multiple food allergies to – peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, dairy, eggs, soy, rice, corn, oats, chicken, potato, peas, lupin, peaches, fish and shellfish. My daughter was also diagnosed with food intolerances and sensitivities to salicylates and amines.

As we flew home from our appointment with our epipen, my emotions caught up with me and I cried the entire trip. How the heck was I going to feed my children? How was I going to keep him safe? After all, I was ‘only a mum’. Along with the fear, anxiety and hopelessness, I also felt a tremendous feeling of relief. At last, we had an answer. Knowing what you’re up against is sometimes easier to face than not knowing.

Changing the kid’s diets immediately, Cohen went onto formula only (Neocate), while Tiana started the FAILSAFE diet. Within 3 weeks, Cohens skin was eczema free. No more scratching, weeping, bleeding skin. He got his beautiful soft baby skin back!

Cohen….what a cutie!

Then came the slow journey of starting Cohen on solids again, one food at a time. With the extent of his limited diet I became very creative in the kitchen.  One thing for sure was , I never wanted him to miss out. I get so much joy watching him try new creations I have made.

My website provides  information about anaphylaxis and allergies helping desperate mums on the same journey. The vision of Allergysave is to support families living with severe allergies and eczema by helping them to save time, money and stress.

I’m proud to say that every year, Cohen has had a birthday cake. I must admit that the first one was disgusting. But, he still had a cake and blew out the candle. Over the years, his cakes have dramatically improved. This year I enjoyed watching him devour his Chocolate Chia Mudcake (recipe available in my Allergy Friendly Home Cooking ebook).

I’d love to share my recipe for Vanilla Cupcakes….

Vanilla Cupcakes

Vanilla Cupcakes

2 cups SR gluten free flour

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon bicarb soda

1 cup caster sugar

½ cup Nuttelex (dairy free margarine)

1 cup rice milk

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

1 Tablespoon No Egg (mixed with ¼ cup rice milk)

1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 180 degrees

Line a muffin pan with patty cases

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and bicarb soda. Using a whisk, mix until ingredients are all combined.

Using an electric mixer, beat Nuttelex and sugar until light and fluffy, approximately 2 minutes.

Add egg replacement and vanilla. Beat for another minute.

Combine rice milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl.

Turn mixer down to low, add a third of the flour and beat until combined. Pour in half the milk and beat until combined. Add half of the remaining flour mixture and beat again.

Pour in remaining milk mixture, beat until combined. Finally add remaining flour and beat until batter is combined and smooth.

Spoon batter into patty cases. Bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Transfer to a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before icing them.

Vanilla Icing

125g Nuttelex

1 ½ cups icing sugar

1 Tablespoon rice milk

½  teaspoon vanilla extract

Place margarine in a small bowl with sifted icing sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until combined. Slowly add the milk and vanilla and beat until smooth.

Spread icing over cupcakes and enjoy!

Would love to have you stop by and say HI on my facebook page!

Wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year,
Love Sonya x

A massive thank you to Sonya for sharing her story! Head on over and check out her website, facebook page, twitter dont forget the wonderful ebooks! These ebooks are not only Gluten free but also top 8 free ; peanut, tree but, wheat, dairy, egg, soy, fish and shellfish free!

TWITTER https://twitter.com/AllergySave

FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/allergysave

Allergy friendly Christmas Recipes ebook http://www.allergysave.com/christmas-recipe-ebook  

Allergy Friendly Home Cooking ebook  http://www.allergysave.com/recipes/allergy-friendly-home-cooking

WEBSITE: http://www.allergysave.com/recipes

Sonya has been kind enough to offer a massive 20% off her ebooks to COTC readers for 1 week only! (offer ends friday 4th Jan) simply enter the code cutoutthecrap into the discount code section on her website!

Wishing you a wonderful weekend ahead!

Take Care of You,

Collette x


Guest Blog and FREE recipe by Sonya from Allergysave!

No comments:

Post a Comment