Tuesday 18 December 2012

Cut out the Crap Christmas Party

Good Afternoon! I hope this finds you all well. Last weekend I threw myself a Christmas Party….in the world/office of COTC I am the only one that works here and thought it would be fun to throw myself a Party! For a few different reasons I never ended up having a book launch for COTC for Kids like I did for COTC, so I thought inviting a few special friends over that helped in many ways with the creating of COTC for Kids (photographer, editor, cooking testers and ever so important SUPPORTERS!) would be a fun way to celebrate Christmas and the 6 amazing months its been since COTC for Kids arrived.

I love throwing parties and gatherings and get a lot of joy from spending time with family and friends. I am a big believer in planning in advance for parties so they run smooth and then my end goal is to sit and relax when the guests arrive.

I write a list of what I am cooking/serving. I write a list of what I need to buy. I shop. I cook what I can in advance. I prepare all plates and platters etc before the guests arrive and the main thing I do before I get dressed up is lay on the bed for 10 minutes, take big deep breaths and relax f0r a mome nt!

As much as throwing a party or any event can be full on, I think if you are well planned then it can be successful and fun! I had a brilliant afternoon / night (2pm – 2am!) and I know my family and friends did also…..I hope you enjoy the photos and ideas!

Preparing in advance….getting all the plates, cups and platters ready so its all done for when your guests arrive.

** Tip – as we were meant to be eating outside (until it started to sprinkle) I got everything ready on the dining table inside as it wasnt going to be used. In a previous home I use to set everything out on my bed! As it was right next to the dining room :-) When the time came for getting out the food there was no searching for plates and platters etc as it was all done already!

Christmas gifts for my guests!

As COTC is about food, I thought it would be fun to give food scented candles….I couldn’t resist a favourite….”Creme Brulee”

** Tip – when offering gifts to your guests, make it fun, cute, unique and personal. I have each female guest a Creme Brulee scented Soy Candle from Eirian Candles with personal gift tags. They were a HUGE hit! Drifting through my home for the Party was the beautiful fresh scent of ‘Coconut and Lime’ in my oil burner (a little Soy Melt from this same lady) I did a similar thing with little Soy Shots when I hosted a baby shower, we did “Baby Powder” scented!

Be prepared and cook/make in advance….

Making my table decoration

Fun and fresh table decoration and edible!

** Tip – this was my first attempt at making a fruit christmas tree table decoration. Miss 8 helped me and we enjoyed making it. Simply insert toothpicks into the foam and then thread fruit on. I think next time I will cover the foam with coloured material first so you don’t see my gaps of white.

….also in advance

Hommus from COTC and salad sticks

Platters of fresh fruit – some cut and some left whole

Cheese platters for those without allergies

1pm (an hour before guests are due to arrive) rest for 10 minutes then get ready!

1.40pm make drinks (test one to make sure they are ok!)

What is a Christmas Party without a few drinks!

Our gorgeous fresh drinks!

** Tip – Make jugs of drink so you don’t have to keep making individual glasses. Good Vodka is the only alcohol I can drink and I am lucky enough to be able to drink sparkling apple juice and soda water, these are my favourites.

*1* Vodka, Appletiser, Diced green apple, fresh mint leaves and Ice.

*2* Vodka, Soda and fresh slices of lime

1.50pm (10 minutes before guests are arriving) put food on the table and put music on

Yummo food!

I bought sushi from a local shop that I know uses fresh ingredients

** Tip – sometimes it’s ok to buy things! I could have made my own sushi but with everything else I was doing I decided to buy it as I know our local shop makes it fresh.

A platter of fresh prawns….easy and ever so delicious!

Savoury Veg Muffins from COTC for Kids, made into a slice and served with Smoked Salmon. These were made the day before and reheated in the oven for 10 minutes.

Coriander and Lemon Chicken from COTC and Marinated Soy Lamb Cutlets

** Tip – Dice the chicken into bite size pieces so guests can pick it up with a toothpick. I prepared and marinated these the night before and when ready to serve hubby took 10 minutes to cook these on the BBQ (and he had some bloke time….beers, men and bbqs go together at gatherings!)

…..and to finish it all off “sweet treats”

Cherry Bakewells from COTC (on the front cover!) Made into bit size bits!

Miss 10 with the half eaten Christmas Tree!

….and something to tease you

a creation for the next book….sorry you have to wait until then for the recipe! How GREAT do they look…..and they tasted FANTASTIC!

Wishing you all a wonderful week……6 more sleeps until Christmas YAY!

Take Care of You,

Collette x

It is with much sadness we said good bye yesterday to our old loyal mate. RIP Bronson 13.8.2000 – 18.12.2012

He loved food so much! Cooking marshmallows on the fire place we would have to tie him up as he wanted to eat them all himself!

A gentle giant – he loved the kids as much as they loved him!

He always wanted to be near us!

Our friend will be missed but is no longer in pain xxx


Cut out the Crap Christmas Party

No comments:

Post a Comment