Monday 28 May 2012

Pizza anyone....????

Saturday night was a "monumental" night for me....and thinking about it so was Sunday night! Imagine for the first time in 5+ years being able to eat the meal you have missed the most.....but this time around it's not going to poison you and make you sick and this time around it's actually good for you!!

Saturday night we had friends over for dinner for homemade Pizza and it was my challenge to create one that I could eat and as you have probably guessed from my "monumental" comment.....IT WORKED.....as for Sunday night......I can't recall the last time that I have had leftover Pizza for dinner! Naughty to have the leftovers the next night in a slight way I know, but it was OH SO GOOD I simply had to stretch the moment out as much as I could!

You see, for me, Pizza was not just a no no because its main 2 ingredients are Gluten and Dairy, I am also allergic to the "common" toppings of Pizza like tomato, mushrooms, pork & preservatives which rules out ham, bacon, salami and cabanossi.... then add being allergic to corn and soy and that rules out any "pre made" pizza bases! But as I say, this story ends well.....

A photo taken of my son a few months ago when we were out with friends....clearly the kind of Pizza I would years ago "enjoy".....I'm so glad I can't now.....and NO, neither did he! :-)

I simply had to come up with not so common pizza topping and with the encouragement of friends this is what I came up with....not one, but TWO, CUT OUT THE CRAP PIZZAS!!!!!!

I prepared a mixture of ingredients, you could vary it up slightly depending on your allergies....

* 1 x Satay Dipping Sauce from CUT OUT THE CRAP PAGE 38
* Chicken breast fillets, boiled, cooled slightly then shredded
* Roasted Sweet Potato
* Broccoli, snow peas, avocado, fresh oregano and coriander and raw cashews
* Baby Spinach
* Red Capsicum
* mixed Italian herbs (jar/packet)
* Olive Oil








BASES - I tried 2 different bases to see if there was a difference....

BASE 1 - 1 cup of Quinoa Flour, 1 egg, 1 tblspn sunflower oil, 3 tblspns water - mix and knead well
BASE 2 - 1/2 cup Quinoa Flour, 1/2 cup Potato Flour, 1 egg, 1 tblspn sunflower oil, 3 tblspns water - mix and knead well

* on both of these bases you may need to add a touch more water or flour depending on the texture



PIZZA ONE.....
1 x Base 1 (quinoa base) covered with satay dipping sauce then topped with chicken, sweet potato, red capsicum, snow peas, fresh oregano, mixed Italian herbs and a drizzle of olive oil


 
PIZZA TWO.....
1 x Base 2 (quinoa and potato) covered with satay dipping sauce then topped with chicken, broccoli, avocado, cashews, baby spinach and a drizzle of olive oil.
Once cooked I put some fresh coriander on top.

As our BBQ has a lid, we turn our BBQ into a "pizza oven" to cook them but they could be cooked in the oven also.
My opinion ..... I LOVED both toppings and couldn't really decide which one was my favourite, they were both SO tasty and fresh and the satay dipping sauce made it feel so gourmet! Next time I plan on making some chunky sweet chilli sauce or a guacamole to see what that is like also.....
As for the bases.....they both cooked beautifully and held together beautifully also.....the all quinoa base was softer, where the one with half potato had quite a crunch to it which was nice but it was slightly powdery.....next time I may try 3/4 cup quinoa flour and 1/4 cup potato flour to see how that goes....but really, you could make either of these bases and you wouldn't be disappointed......

Tired after a long day at work and I don't normally wear my "Cut out the Crap" tops around the house! Ah.....homemade Pizza that I CAN eat!!!!!!!!!
My friend who doesn't have allergies at all and is use to eating "real" pizza, enjoyed my PIZZA ONE better than the one he made himself with wheat flour, cheese, salami and all the traditional toppings.....as he is our Pastor I trust he would not lie to me!!!!!!

These are something we are going to do often now as they were truly delicious and healthy! The kids LOVE making their own pizzas and it's always something fun and relaxed to do with friends.......

there was one other element that made the whole experience complete and that was the fact that I really felt like I was eating pizza! For the first time in 5+ years.....it was AMAZING!


YUM!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me know when make them, would love to hear other creative topping ideas and as always I love seeing photos....feel free to post them on Facebook or if you can't you can email them to me at info@cutoutthecrap.com.au

Tonight for dinner I have used the leftover ingredients from the pizza along with leftover chicken from drumsticks and a little grated sweet potato to make a Frittata......thrown all together, no wasting food and yep, you guessed it, healthy, tasty and crap free!


 
Take Care of You,
Coll x

No comments:

Post a Comment