Sunday 19 August 2012

Super Mum "Merlene Dilger"

Good Morning! Happy "Super Mum" Monday! When writing my long list of "Super Mums" that I was hoping to chat to, interview and share their "everyday" yet touching stories, I couldn't go pass adding my Chiro to the list. This lady is my saviour when I am stressed and suffer bad headaches, she is the one that put my body "back into place" after giving birth to the twins in a frantic 2 1/2 hour natural labour and she is the only person I trusted to help Miss Alice when she was only a few months old and she was suffering from her traumatic birth experience.... with the TLC of this "Super Mum" she was a lot more settled, sleeping better and feeding better......I hope you enjoy her interview......

“Merlene Dilger”


·         Tell us a little bit about you and your family?
Hi, my name is Merlene. I am a practicing Chiropractor with a special interest in pregnancy, babies, and children. I also have qualifications as a Clinical Nutritionist, and I’m a Counsellor for the Australian Breastfeeding Association. I own my own practice – Better Health Practices – with my husband Ron (also a chiro) and I have 2 beautiful children – Murray is 9 and Tarni is 6. We have a Herbalist, 3 Chiros, a Massage Therapist, a Pilates instructor, and run Gymbaroo/Babyroo classes from our premises. My son Murray has food sensitivities (wheat and dairy) and after pulling wheat out of my diet I have realised how bad wheat is for me, so I suppose that makes me wheat-sensitive too! Murray tends to get really snotty and his ears fill with fluid if he has any significant amount of wheat, whereas I just bloat up. It’s terrible stuff for most of us, really.

·         What one ingredient can you not live without and why?
This is a bit of a tough one – my cooking patterns are constantly evolving as I learn more about we should (and shouldn’t) put into our bodies. I am really getting into using Coconut Oil now instead of the old favourite olive oil – and really enjoying the taste. Coconut oil is the most stable oil – it does not degrade at all when heated. So all the other oils (olive, avocado, nut oils etc) are great for us as long as we don’t heat them up.

·         If you had half an hour to cook dinner and realized you didn’t have anything planned, what would you cook?
If I have access to my Thermomix, then I could do a few of my favourites – a mushroom risotto, or perhaps tempeh bolognaise with gluten-free spaghetti. If I didn’t have access to my Thermomix then I would probably do some toasted ‘rollies’ as they are known in my house – mountain bread (not strictly wheat-free I know) wrapped around some avocado, mayo, smoked salmon, whatever I have in my fridge really, and then toasted (I add cheese for my daughter as she doesn’t have a problem with dairy). In half an hour I could probably also whip up Collette’s Apple Crumble – so easy and sooo yummy!

·         What is once piece of advice you can pass on to other busy mums?
It is fine to be busy, but when you are with your kids – be with them – be present in mind as well as body. I have learnt this by trial and error really. Having my mind elsewhere when I am with my kids is a sure-fire way of getting bad behaviour out of my daughter. And even if I haven’t had a great quantity of time with my kids, if I am truly present when I am with them, this makes me feel a lot more connected with them, and I carry that with me when I am busy and not with them.


·         If you could have dinner with any 3 people in the world, who would it be and why?
Only 3! Ok, Anita Roddick (founder of the Body Shop, author, and amazingly ethically responsible entrepreneur), Edmund Hilary (first man to climb Everest), and can I say my hubby? I would really like to share meeting these people with him – and we don’t get much of a chance to get out to dinner these days!

·         You own “Better Health Practices” at Kariong, you are a Chiropractor yourself, plus more....I would love to more of what you do and what started this passion? 
I fell into Chiropractic really – I knew I could never sit at a desk so I looked at studying physio versus chiro and liked the chiro philosophy – the way it looks at the whole picture, rather than looking at symptoms. Ron and I started the Chiro part of Better Health Practices in 1997 when we moved to the coast. Chiro kept me healthy and functioning as I trained to compete in the Ironman Triathlon the following year. A few years later our first child was born, and that is probably where my desire to work with kids began. My confidence in caring for children with Chiropractic grew as my family did, but I still feel quite a weight of responsibility in looking after kids. And wellness is more than just having a well-functioning spine and nervous system, so I decided to complete a grad dip in clinical nutrition, which I finished a couple of years after my daughter was born. I also qualified as a Breastfeeding Counsellor during this time, as supporting women to breastfeed really gets to the bottom of health and well-being for children. The Breastfeeding Association were a constant source of support and encouragement as I breastfed both my babies into toddlerhood.

In line with this philosophy of supporting wellness from the beginning, I have recently added Gymbaroo to the services I offer at my clinic. Gymbaroo is a movement-based class activity for babies to pre-schoolers. It aims to educate parents on the importance of each developmental stage that children go through, whilst having fun! From tummy time strategies, to cementing pre-reading skills such as good upper body strength and smooth eye tracking across a page, it is a fantastic programme and I am really enjoying watching the kids in my classes conquer new motor skills, knowing that it is not just good for their body, but great brain food as well!

As always, my family are my constant inspiration. My son has really led me down a lot of the professional pathways I have gone down over the last few years, he is my greatest teacher really. My oft-neglected husband is always so supportive of my work, and my daughter reminds me how good it feels, and how important it is to laugh and smile every day.



 Wishing you all a beautiful week ahead, full of love and laughter.
Take Care of You,
Collette x


No comments:

Post a Comment