Sunday 5 August 2012

Super Mum "Jen Congdon"

Good Morning and happy "Super Mum" Monday !!!!!!

Todays "Super Mum" is a Mum of 8.....no, that is not a typo!!!!! 8 beautiful, healthy amazing blessings!

I am thrilled to be realted to this lady....she is my Aunt by marriage (my hubbys Aunt)......although she lives on the other side of the world she inspires me and enourages me and I feel blessed to have her in my life......this lady, to me, is the epitome of a "Super Mum" ....
 
“Jen Congdon”




*Tell us a little bit about your family....

We have a big, busy family of ten. Six of my eight children are currently living with us, my oldest daughter is married and my second oldest daughter lives and works in Chicago.  My husband is the senior pastor of New Braunfels Bible Church in Texas.  I am a retired RN, but I volunteer at our local crisis pregnancy center.  My sixteen year old daughter, Abby, was diagnosed with Celiac Disease when she was two, so she has grown up on a gluten-free diet.

Jen and her family....1 hubby, 8 kids, 1 son-in law :-)
*What one ingredient can you not live without and why?

If I asked my kids that question they would probably say icecream or chocolate or something, but for me, if I really had to go without everything but one thing, it would be beans....dried beans.  I buy the 16 Bean Soup Mix which is full of all kinds of beans and lentils.  They are packed with protein and fibre, no fat, and you can season them any way you like. They are truly  a super food.
 
*If you had half and hour to cook dinner and realized you didn't have anything planned, what would you cook?

That sounds like me almost every night!  Well my quick meal, usually on Tuesdays when I get home late and my kids have youth group at our church, is spaghetti and meatballs.  I always use whole wheat spaghetti, I keep bulk pre-cooked frozen meatballs in the freezer and spaghetti sauce in jars in my pantry.  Often I cook up some frozen veggies like brocolli, cauliflower and carrots, blend them and add them to the spaghetti sauce.

*What is one piece of advice you can pass on to other busy mums?

I would say, practice thankfulness.  It is so easy to become irritated by, well... everything... when life is busy, pulling you in every direction, dishes are piled up, laundry is overwhelming, kids need to be run all over town, meals need to be cooked... and life can easily become a burden and rob us of joy and peace.  I try to be intentional about  'counting my blessings', being thankful that I have a home, that we have electricity, running water, appliances... (millions in the world could only dream of such luxuries).  I have a family whom I can love and serve, I have clothes that I get to wash in a washing machine, plenty of food that I get to prepare for my family...so much we take for granted.


* If you could have dinner with any 3 people in the world, who would it be and why?

I love eating out with friends and my family.  When we eat out as a family it usually marks a celebration of some kind...it's a time of joy.  First I would have to say that I long to share a meal with Jesus.  He is the most important person in my life and I know that when we share a meal together, it will be in His kingdom that will never end, and I cannot wait for that!!   I would also say my Australian family (I know that's not one person), and my husband.  I know I have simple pleasures, but I have come to realize that family is the thing I cherish most.

Jen and Phil with my 4 children....we were thrilled
to see them for a day when they came to Australia
in July xxx

*Did you always dream of having a large family?  How often do you food shop?  What are some regular meals you cook  to feed a family of 10, that doesn't leave you in the kitchen all day?

I didn't always dream of having a big family.  Actually when we got married and discussed children, Phil said four minimum and I said four maximum.  So four it was.  Phil is one of twelve children and many of his siblings are having large families too.  After four kids I even had a tubal ligation, but before long it was me that longed for more children...our family didn't seem complete. So I had the surgery reversed and we were blessed with four more. Four girls and four boys in all, ranging from 25 years to 8 years. There are now 60 first cousins in the Congdon family and we all have a blast when we get together. 
I just had sixteen staying in my house last week and we ate meals like, chicken curry and rice, we barb-b-qued burgers and chicken and had beans and salad with them.  We made fajitas and stir-fried veggies.  I'm all about salads and veggies, but my family is happy when I have plenty of something 'starchy' like mashed potatoes, or potato salad, or rice (I always use brown rice) or pasta.  We eat a lot of turkey and chicken and I've been experimenting a bit with some African/Middle  Eastern type dishes. 
I shop when I need to.  My husband usually shops about once a month at Sams Club (a big warehouse type store where you can buy in bulk). We get lots of frozen veggies and boneless, skinless chicken in bulk, things like that. I run in to our local supermarket quite frequently, say every couple of days to pick up things, even if it's just bread and milk.  The other thing I usually have cooked up and in my fridge is a big pot of mixed beans.
I don't consider myself a super mum at all.  I am not a good organizer and, my house is often a mess.  But God has given me the privilege of serving Him in my family and in my church, and even though I do get very tired at times, I consider myself incredibly blessed!

Jen and Phil with their eldest daughter Sarah on her wedding day x

Jen and Phil xxx

My hubby (holding the cake) got to spend a week with Jen and her
family in Texas in June xxx

I hope you have enjoyed this interview......I would love to know, have you counted your blessings today?

Take Care of You, 
Collette x


 

No comments:

Post a Comment