Thursday 2 August 2012

lunch box and party ideas.....

The question I have been asked SO MUCH recently is "what do your kids have in their lunch boxes?"... So here it goes.....today I am sharing (a LOT of photos!)
Just so you know, my 4 children don't (touch wood) have food allergies...however they eat Additive Free because of Miss 8s major meltdowns (when she does eat Additives) and it is my 100% belief that eating Additive Free is better for them in every which way!

My big girls are not huge fans of sandwiches and much prefer wraps, crackers, dips. I like to offer them a variety so they are not eating the same thing every day. I don't think they would mind, especially Miss 10 who would eat chicken (drumsticks leftover) on a wrap with lettuce and mayo daily....and Miss 8 who loves a wrap with cucumber, carrot and cheese.....

I have a note inside my Pantry so they can help get lunch things ready.... it says....
Fruit Break - 1 x piece fruit
Morning Tea - 1 x piece fruit and 1 small snack
Lunch - Wrap etc and 1 piece of fruit


Now, I KNOW there will be people out there that will tell me that fruit is full of sugar and they shouldn't eat too much....but for me I will accept that and continue to allow them as much as they want....on average they have 4 pieces per day. I personally would prefer natural sugars if my alternatives are chemicals or more chips etc.....but as I say that is MY opinion....and it is me doing what I feel is right for my family!

Here are some photos of what my girls had in their lunch boxes last week .... I hope you find some inspiration from them...

3 serves of fruit, Savoury Veg Muffins (turned into a Slice)
from COTC for Kids and a "Twix" (yes! Additive Free treat)


I make this at least once a week for our lunch....this is the whole slice
version of the Savoury Veg Muffins from COTC for kids


3 serves of fruit, 1 x cheese sandwich and 1 treat
(home made choc chip cookie for COTC for kids)


2 x fruit, 1 x carrot sticks, 1 x treat (choc chip cookie from
COTC for Kids) and 2 wraps with Chicken, lettuce and Mayo
(once a week I cook 8 Paprika drumticks from COTC to
pull apart and use for lunches)


3 x fruit, 1 x snack (sultanas) and Lunch is 3 containers:
1) rice crackers plain 2) sliced tomato
3) avocado dip from COTC for Kids


and some more ideas......

I try and vary the fruit and always buy whats in Season as it is going
to have the best taste :-)


They love hard boiled eggs, egg, mayo and lettuce sandwiches,
Tuna, Lettuce and Mayo wraps and also
Crackers with Hommus (from COTC)


A Sunday afternoon lunch HUGE frittata...grated carrot and zucchini, fresh
herbs and eggs ....leftovers are great for lunch at school!


The sliced frittata yum......

The entire family loves chicken drumsticks

This is the 4 kids favourite slices -
Date Slice from COTC
If its going to school I normally don't Ice it otherwise
it sticks.....we generally make this once a
fortnight....perfect for morning tea :-)


My kids love a cold salad, this recipe is in
COTC for kids....but cook the pasta, allow it cool
and let them throw in what they want in the way
of both fruit and veg!
(this is quinoa and rice pasta - so it is GF)


Another favourite that is made often....
Yummy Bars....the recipe is on a past blog
of mine!


My girls have turned 10 and 8 over the last 6 weeks which means 2 birthday parties for our household.....I was proud of myself for making the party food and cakes additive free.....here are some more photos and ideas for you....some I know you have seen before, but thought I would share again.....

Additive Free Snacks....these plus so many more are listed in the
Additive Free Shopping Guide
www.additivefreepantry.com


Additive Free pinwheels - puff pastry, cheese & tomato sauce
(another hit for school lunches even if they are cold!)
They generally don't even reach the plate as the kids nick them!


Party food enjoyed by all! Hommus, veg sticks and crackers!

I have always found that kids LOVE fruit at parties....and this year I
only offered water to drink and not one child
complained!!!!!!!!!!


Miss 10s Birthday Cake
The CAKE was Gluten, Dairy and Additive Free
(then I smothered it with additve free cream and choc covered strawberries!)


Miss 8s birthday cake
The CAKE was Gluten, Dairy and Additive Free
and topped with additive free chocolates


 I hope you have found at least ONE new thing to try for lunch boxes in your house.....I would LOVE to hear your thoughts.....and if you have any suggestions for me to add to my list, I am always open to ideas and I know my Cut out the Crap friends would love to hear other ideas also.

Happy Friday...have a beautiful, healthy, fun and safe weekend!


Take Care of You,
Collette x

www.cutoutthecrap.com.au

www.facebook.com/cutoutthecrap

info@cutoutthecrap.com.au

INSTAGRAM : collette_cutoutthecrap



No comments:

Post a Comment