Sunday 15 December 2013

Salad in a Jar!

Good Morning! I hope this finds you well…..with Summer brings BBQ’s and Picnics, so I thought it was time I shared with you a favourite picnic meal for us….only this weekend just gone  we took this to our Church Christmas Carols….this is the ‘standard’ recipe I use but as I always say, get creative and feel free to swap ingredients for those that suit your diet needs and taste buds….enjoy!


salad in a jar


salad in a jar


makes 4 serves


2 chicken breast fillets


4 tspns oil of choice


4 tspns maple syrup


a few drops of sesame oil


1 lime – thinly sliced


coriander and dill – roughly shredded


2 carrots – grated


4 tblspns pistachios


½ large beetroot – grated


baby spinach


Roughly dice chicken breast fillets. Place in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. Drain well and allow to cool. Once the chicken is cooled, shred the chicken roughly (if your diet allows you could always cheat and use a bbq chicken instead).


In the bottom of each glass jar place 1 tspn oil, 1 tspn maple syrup, 2 drops of sesame oil and 1 piece of lime.


Add some cooled shredded chicken, then a good pinch of coriander and dill. Continue to layer with salad ingredients, grated carrot, pistachios, grated beetroot and pack down firmly with baby spinach.


salad jar - 2


You can get creative and use salad ingredients, herbs and nuts of your choice. The kids love eating salad like this on a picnic. You can eat it however you like, for me, once I eat the baby spinach layer on the top, I dig in and mix the rest of the ingredients around….hubby eats his one layer at a time.


Note: just don’t forget to pack forks!


salad jar - 1

I prepare all the ingredients in advance & make a production line putting the salad jars together!


I hope you have a wonderful week….I am on the countdown here, only 3 days left of the big girls school….I LOVE school holidays!


Take Care of You,
Collette x 



Salad in a Jar!

No comments:

Post a Comment